AR 308 and AR-10 Frequently Asked Questions
We get a lot of AR 308 and AR-10 compatibility questions. We will post the questions and answers here. Keep in mind that the manufacturer’s details and specifications are subject to change without our knowledge, details, and specifications.
.308 Winchester vs 7.62 NATO
- Question: Is 7.62 NATO and .308 Winchester the same cartridge? Answer: No, they are similar cartridges but there are critical differences. .308 Winchester is loaded to higher pressures than 7.62 NATO. The 7.62 NATO brass case is thicker than the .308 Winchester case. This means the 7.62 NATO cartridge holds less powder
- Question: Can I shoot 7.62 NATO ammunition in a .308 chambered rifle? Answer: Yes
- Question: Can I shoot .308 Winchester ammunition in a rifle chambered for 7.62 NATO? Answer: No due to the .308 Winchester cartridges’ higher pressure. A rifle with a 7.62 NATO chamber should only shoot 7.62 NATO ammunition.
Aero Precision Mag Release Too Short?
Aero Precision M5 .308 magazine release button too short? The Aero Precision M5 lower receiver requires their $5 “Extended Magazine Catch APRH308185C.”
AR-10 Barrel Nut Threads and Compatibility
|Armalite||1-7/16” and 18 TPI-3A||Armalite barrel nuts threads are not commonly found on aftermarket AR-10 handguards|
|DPMS LR-308||1-7/16” and 16 TPI-2A||The DPMS barrel nut is the most common AR-10 thread style|
|DPMS GII||Unknown||If you know the thread of the DPMS GII barrel nut let us now.|
What AR-10 Manufacturers Use The Armalite AR-10 Barrel Nut Design?
- Armalite AR-10
- Eagle Arms AR-10
- Noveske N6
What AR308 Manufacturers Use The DPMS LR-308 Barrel Nut Design?
Below is a summary of common AR308 manufacturers that utilize the DPMS LR-308 barrel nut design and handguard.
- Bushmaster 308 ORC
- DPMS LR-308 and all other large frame non GII models.
- Palmetto State Arms (PSA) PA10, PAC10 & TAC10
- Remington R25
- Smith & Wesson M&P 10
Below is a summary of common AR308 manufacturers that utilize the DPMS LR-308 barrel nut design and a non-standard handguard design. This data is unconfirmed by us.
The manufacturers below utilize non-industry-standard designs. It is advised that you use a handguard offered by the manufacturer of your upper receiver.
- Aero Precision
- Daniel Defense DD5 V1
- DPMS GII
- LaRue Tactical OBR 7.62, PredatOBR 7.62, PredatAR 7.62
- Rock River Arms LAR-8
- Ruger SR-762
- Sig Sauer 716 Patrol
If you can contribute to the list, please do.
What handguard style is compatible with Ascend Armory AR 308 Upper Receivers?
Ascend Armory – Answer 16 TPI DPMS High Style Handguards